Academic Policies

Grading System & Reports

The final term grade shall be determined by the instructor, based on appraisal of the student’s progress in class. Examinations, daily grades, participation, additional representative examples of course objectives, and such shall be considered in determining the grade. Unofficial status grades are given at mid-term during long-term (fall/spring) semesters. At the end of each term, the student’s final grade for each course is posted in EMPOWER. However, the final grade report may not be released if the student has not met all financial obligations to the College or has not completed all admission requirements. Grades are released to a parent or guardian only if the student has completed a FERPA Education Record Access Change Form.

Any student receiving an “I” in a course during a long term has 45 days to fulfill the course requirements and receive a proper grade. Any student receiving an “I” in a course during a short session or term has 15 days to fulfill the course requirements and receive a proper grade. The student is responsible for making arrangements with the instructor to fulfill the course requirements. If the course requirements are not fulfilled, and a proper grade is not assigned within the 45-day or 15-day period, the “I” automatically becomes an “F, and the Registrar will transcript the grade accordingly.

The grade-point average for a term is calculated by first multiplying the course semester hours by the grade points per semester hour based on the course grade. These values are summed for all classes for the term and the total value divided by the total semester hours attempted. Note that courses with grades of “W,” “I,” and “CR” are not included in the calculation.

A cumulative grade-point average includes all courses taken at Jacksonville College and other collegiate work as shown on the Jacksonville College academic transcript.

If the same course has been repeated, it is counted only one time, using the higher grade, for grade-point average calculation and for total hours completed. If a student retakes a course that was previously transferred, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Registrar so that the transfer course may be removed if a higher grade is earned.

Grade Dispute Process

A student may contest a final semester grade by submitting a grade dispute form no later than 45 calendar days during long semesters or 15 calendar days during short semesters from the close of the semester in which the grade was given. Students should attempt to informally resolve their situation directly with the faculty member before completing a grade dispute form. Click here for the grade dispute form. The Grade Dispute Committee (composed of three department chairs, not to include any instructor involved in the appeal) will confer with the student and the instructor to seek resolution to the problem. After investigation, the committee will determine whether or not the dispute has merit and any subsequent action needed. If the student is not satisfied with the decision of the committee, the student may appeal the decision to the Academic Dean who will investigate the matter further and render a final decision. All proceedings shall be documented and placed in the student’s file.

Removing Courses Adding/Dropping Courses

During the add/drop period listed on the Academic Calendar, a student may add or drop courses by following the procedure set forth by the Office of the Registrar.

Withdrawal from Class or College

JC allows a possible withdrawal grade of W. The withdrawal grade of W counts as hours attempted and has financial aid ramifications, but it does not affect GPA. A student may withdraw from a course through the date indicated on the JC Academic Calendar and receive a grade of W. Withdrawing from a course is not an option during the add/drop period or after the withdrawal deadline.

To withdraw from any and all courses, a student must complete an online Course(s) Withdrawal Request Form. The form will only be active and available during the time it may be used.

In certain cases, withdrawal from the College may become necessary and can be initiated by the College administration for due cause. Due cause may include but is not limited to: failure to satisfy financial obligations to the college or failure to attend classes. In any case, proper withdrawal must involve use of the official withdrawal form and procedures by an official representative to secure an honorable withdrawal. The process must be initiated and concluded through the Office of the Registrar. Official withdrawal from classes will take effect only when the student has been cleared by all appropriate departments, including clearance by Student Accounts regarding financial obligations.

Failure to attend classes or departure from the campus does not constitute official withdrawal. In an honorable withdrawal, initiated by the deadline indicated on the JC Academic Calendar, a grade of “W” will be given. If proper withdrawal is not concluded by the date listed on the JC Academic Calendar, the student will receive grades as assigned by his or her instructors. Withdrawal after the deadline to withdraw will not be approved.

Transfer to Another Institution

Honorable dismissal is granted by Jacksonville College to students who wish to transfer to another institution under the following conditions: acceptable conduct and character, minimum grade requirements met, academic file complete, proper withdrawal, and all financial obligations satisfied.

Scholastic Probation

The academic progress of all students is determined at the conclusion of each fall and spring semester. A student who does not attain a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 1.50 or more after a total of fifteen semester hours have been attempted will be given a written notice of alert regarding satisfactory academic progress. If a cumulative GPA of 1.50 or more is not attained after a total of thirty semester hours, the student will be placed on scholastic probation. Students on probation may carry a maximum of fifteen semester hours during a fall or spring semester. This maximum number of hours may be reduced by the Academic Dean in the interest of the student. If a student on scholastic probation takes short-term (summer) classes, the GPA will be checked at the end of the summer term to determine its effect on the scholastic probation status.

Enforced Scholastic Withdrawal

The academic progress of all students is determined at the conclusion of each fall and spring semester. A student who does not attain a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 2.00 or more after a total of forty-five semester hours have been attempted will be placed on Enforced Scholastic Withdrawal and may not enroll for the next long-term (fall/spring) semester. However, a student may make appeal to the Academic Dean and a special admissions committee for a hearing and under certain circumstances may not be forced to withdraw. The requirements for special admission shall be documented and agreed to by the student. A student who returns to the College subsequent to the date of the withdrawal status shall return on Scholastic Probation unless and until the cumulative GPA reaches 2.00 or more. If a student on Enforced Scholastic Withdrawal takes short-term (summer) classes, the GPA will be checked at the end of the summer term to determine effect on the Enforced Scholastic Withdrawal status.

Enforced Scholastic Withdrawal also takes effect when a student does not obtain an honorable withdrawal from the College.

Academic Discipline

Misconduct or cheating in the classroom will not be tolerated. Discipline in the classroom is the responsibility of and under the control of the instructor. A final line of appeal is to the Academic Dean. If deemed necessary, the Dean may refer the matter to the Cabinet. Possible consequences for infraction of classroom rules may include:

1. Student-instructor conference

2. Written warning

3. Academic disciplinary probation (Any additional misconduct could result in withdrawal of the student from the course or dismissal from the College by the Academic Dean.)

4. Direct withdrawal of the student from the course by the Academic Dean

5. Other action as deemed necessary, including dismissal from the College

If a student must be withdrawn from a class for academic disciplinary reasons, the student will receive an automatic grade of “F.”

Student Responsibility for Standard of Work

Each student is responsible for knowing whether he or she has met all standards for academic performance, scholarship and financial aid requirements, or other requirements. Students placed on probation or withdrawal by Jacksonville College or who transfer from other institutions while on probation or withdrawal are held responsible for determining their scholastic status at all times, especially prior to registration and/or before receipt of a formal notification of status issued by the college.

Class Attendance

Students should be present in the classroom to facilitate the learning process and to develop effective learning habits. Attendance requirements are outlined by the individual instructor in his or her course syllabus. If a student has excessive absences, appropriate learning cannot take place, and the student may be removed from the class by the Academic Dean. Any consequences of removal from a class, such as effects on scholarships or financial aid, shall be the responsibility of the student.

Instructors are encouraged to consider not only a punitive policy whereby a student’s grade is reduced for excessive absences or tardiness, but also a motivational policy whereby grades may be increased for limited absences. Such policies should be included in the course syllabus. Make-up work is at the discretion of the instructor; the student is responsible for requesting the work.

Absences because of official College business, sponsored by appropriate College personnel shall not be counted or penalized. Advance notification of such absences must be submitted by the sponsor to the Academic Dean for approval. All affected instructors will be informed of absences by the Academic Dean. Jury duty is considered an excused absence; the student must provide verification of duty. Instructors shall allow make-up work for jury duty absences; however, requesting the work is the responsibility of the student.


Examinations and quizzes are given at regular intervals each semester. These tests, along with other requirements as set forth by the instructor, determine the final course grade that is reported to the Registrar. Students who miss an appointed test may be able to take a makeup test at the discretion of the instructor.

Semester Examinations

Semester examinations are an integral part of the course at the end of each semester. Instructors should schedule and administer semester exams during Final Exam days as designated on the JC Academic Calendar.

Academic Honors

President’s List and Dean’s List

At the close of each long-term (Fall/Spring) semester, those students who have excelled scholastically shall be recognized by the following:

President’s List

Must complete 12 or more hours per long semester

Must earn an “A” grade for all hours attempted for that semester

Dean’s List

Must complete 12 or more hours per long semester

Must have a grade-point average of at least 3.50 for that semester

Must have no semester course grade lower than a “C”

Academic Achievements

Jacksonville College recognizes other honors to commend students for their academic success in addition to service participation and leadership qualities:

Who’s Who Among Students in American Junior Colleges

Selected by the faculty and administration once every academic year

Must be an elite sophomore whose academic standing, participation in extracurricular activities and community service are decidedly above average

Academic Excellence Awards

Selected by the faculty at the end of every Spring semester; one recipient per discipline.

Must demonstrate academic excellence in a particular field of study.

C.R. Meadows Award

Selected by the President of the College at the end of every spring semester in memory of C.R. Meadows, a pastor and former President of Jacksonville College

Must represent academic qualities and high moral character

Curtis M. Carroll Award

Selected by the faculty at the end of every spring semester in memory of Curtis M. Carroll, former President Emeritus of Jacksonville College

Must represent academic qualities and high moral character

Honors Program

The Honors Program at Jacksonville College exists to provide ambitious students additional opportunities to develop higher level thinking skills and connect subject areas to the community through service, faith, and culture. Admission to the Honors Program is determined by the Honors Review Committee and is based upon the following initial criteria:

1. Standardized test score

a) ACT composite score of 25 or sub-score of 25 in Reading, English, Mathematics, or Science OR

b) SAT combined score of 1150 on Critical Reading and Mathematics or a subscore of 570 in Critical Reading, Writing, or Mathematics or

2. A cumulative GPA of 3.25 after 12 hours of college credit

3. Require no college developmental courses

4. Completed application and essay

To enter into a contract for honors credit in a specific course, the student must be approved by the instructor of that course. In order to receive honors credit, the student must earn a grade of “B” or better in the course. Graduation from the Honors Program requires completion of at least five courses with honors credit.

If an Honors Program participant’s date of degree conferment occurs in May, the student is expected to participate in Jacksonville College’s spring graduation ceremony.

Testing & Placement

Jacksonville College is committed to a continuing effort to ensure a proper and effective education for all students. To assist students in having a successful college experience, Jacksonville College requires that certain minimum scholastic standards be met before admission into college-credit English and mathematics courses.

These standards are based on one or more of the following criteria:

ACT score in English, reading, and mathematics

SAT score in reading, writing, and mathematics

End of course exams

Accuplacer (Institution’s placement) score in mathematics, reading, writing

If the minimum standards are not met or if transcripts do not clearly indicate appropriate placement, the student will be required to enroll in lab supported English and/or mathematics classes. Details of the testing and placement policies and procedures can be obtained by contacting the Academic Dean or the Director of Admissions.

Dual Credit & Concurrent Enrollment

A current sophomore, junior, or senior-level student in a U.S. high school may enroll as a student at Jacksonville College and receive college credit for courses taken and completed successfully (“concurrent enrollment”). Both college credit and high school credit for certain courses taken and completed successfully may be awarded by specific approval of the high school (“dual credit enrollment”). The high school must give permission for students to enroll and should indicate whether the course will be accepted for dual credit. Both concurrent enrollment and dual credit enrollment students, whether on the college campus or on the high school campus, are subject to the published Jacksonville College admission procedures and requirements and other applicable policies. A course offered on the high school campus is administered by the same policies as those taught on campus, including instructor qualifications, course syllabus, student placement in English or mathematics classes, student grades, and evaluation of course instruction. The student may not enroll in college-level English or math if placement scores indicate that developmental education is needed in those areas. Developmental education cannot be provided while still in high school. Courses taken by current high school students are placed on an unofficial Jacksonville College transcript that can be presented to another college/university for evaluation of transfer credit. The student should contact the transfer school to determine what courses are required and which Jacksonville College courses satisfy those requirements. The College provides library and other student services to students.

Home-schooled students are also eligible to participate in the dual credit/concurrent enrollment program. The student must provide a high school transcript, verifying completion of the freshman year (six high school credits) and a letter of permission from the home school instructor in addition to the application credentials of all high school students.

More information may be found on the Dual Credit page.

Advanced Credit/CLEP

At the request of the student, Jacksonville College may give advanced credit for courses listed in the section “Course Offerings.” The necessary requirements for advanced credit are for the student to complete the AP/CLEP Credit Request Form and submit official AP/CLEP scores to Jacksonville College. The fee for advanced credit is $25.00 per semester hour; this cost is not covered by scholarship or financial aid monies. After this fee is paid and all forms and scores submitted to the Registrar’s office, the credit(s) will be posted on the student’s academic transcript at the end of the semester of enrollment at Jacksonville College. Credit will be shown as “CR” (“credit”) for each specific course. Such credit will not be used for calculation of grade-point average, but the hours will count toward graduation at Jacksonville College. A maximum of fifteen hours will be given. A student cannot receive advanced credit for courses in which he or she is currently enrolled or has been previously enrolled.

Audit a Class

You may audit a course by completing the appropriate form in the Office of the Registrar, Academic Dean’s Office or front desk of the Business Office during registration and add/drop period. As an auditing student, you may attend classes but are generally not required to take exams and are not entitled to earn credit for the audited course. The tuition fee to audit a course is $50.00 per semester credit hour. If you choose to audit a course, you cannot later ask to be changed to receive credit.

Account Holds

You may see a hold on your account when you log in to Empower. Each hold serves a different function and is placed by different offices. Common Empower Holds shows all holds that JC may apply to an Empower account and details the actions and areas the hold prevents you from accessing as well as the office that assigns the hold.

Pre-Approval for Transfer Credits Back to JC

If you are a current student and want to take courses during the short terms at another institution and transfer back to JC for credit towards degree requirements, you will need to complete a Pre-Approval of Transfer Credits form.

Transfer Coursework From Another Institution

Academic transcripts from all colleges/universities previously attended will be evaluated for possible transfer credit to Jacksonville College according to these following guidelines.

  • The course must have been taken for college credit and must represent content and level of instruction resulting in student competencies at least equivalent to those of students enrolled in Jacksonville College degree programs.
  • No grade of “F” will be accepted in transfer. Grades of “D” will be accepted for credit; grades of “C” or higher in ENGL 1301 and 1302 are required for an associate degree.
  • The college typically accepts a maximum of 45 hours transferred in. However, all Jacksonville College graduation requirements are applicable to transfer-in credits.
  • Only freshman and sophomore level courses will transfer to JC. These courses normally start with a “1” or “2”.

After applying these criteria, courses and grades accepted for credit will be shown on the Jacksonville College academic transcript. These courses will be included in calculation of the cumulative grade-point average. If a course has been repeated, it is considered only one time, using the higher grade, for grade-point average calculation and for total hours completed.​

Request A Degree Audit

You can request a graduation degree audit online prior to registering for your last semester of courses.

Degree audits will be shared with you and your advisor on Google Drive via your college email account as they are completed.

Your advisor will not be able to register you for final semester classes until you have a degree audit from the Office of the Registrar.

Print an Unofficial Transcript

Unofficial transcripts are available for current and most former students to print from the Jacksonville College website.

Here’s how:

  1. Log on to Empower
  2. Select Student Records tab
  3. Select Transcript (Detail)
  4. Click the Show/Hide button depending on which semesters you want
  5. Click the printable version to print your transcript

Please contact if you need assistance with login credentials for Empower.​

Order a Replacement Diploma

You can request a replacement diploma by submitting a Diploma Reprint Form to the Office of the Registrar. The request must be accompanied by the required identification forms.

The cost of the replacement diploma is $15.00.

The Registrar’s office accepts cashier’s checks and money orders only. However, you can pay with a credit card in person at the Norman building front desk.

PHED Requirement Waiver

You can request a Waiver for PHED requirement from the Office of the Registrar by completing this form. If you are over 25 years old, a veteran, or have a physical disability, you may request permission to waive the PHED requirement.

For other inquiries and questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar:

  • By mail: Send to the Office of the Registrar at 105 B.J. Albritton Drive Jacksonville, TX 75766
  • In person: Norman Building
  • Via email: Send to
  • By phone: 903.586.2518
Non-Disclosure of Directory Information

In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Jacksonville College gives notice that the following directory information may be released:

  • Student’s name
  • Physical address
  • Email address
  • Telephone number
  • Date and place of birth
  • Degrees, certifications, and awards received
  • Date of graduation
  • Dates of attendance
  • Major field of study at Jacksonville College
  • Photographs
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate; full-time or part-time)

You may have all Directory Information withheld by submitting a Request to Release or Withhold Directory Information Form to the Office of the Registrar. Requests for non-disclosure will be honored by the institution until you submit a Request to Release or Withhold Directory Information Form to the Office of the Registrar.

No other information may be released without your written consent. Grades, social security numbers, student identification numbers, ethnic backgrounds, and student schedules may not be released to anyone other than you. You must request your personal information in writing. No information will be released over the phone.

Parents, guardians, spouses, and others may have an interest in your record; however, access to or release of the educational record is only by your written consent. You may choose to complete and submit a FERPA Education Record Access Change Form to the Office of the Registrar to allow access or release of their educational record to specific individuals.

For more information to help parents or guardians understand how FERPA regulates access to their college student’s information, visit the U.S. Department of Education website.

Change Name, Address, Contact Info, or Major

Student Data Change Forms are available online as well as Change of Major Forms.

Name changes must be accompanied with legal documentation of change such as marriage license, divorce decree, or court order.

Address changes must be accompanied with proof of change such as Driver’s License, State ID, or copies of bills.

You can submit completed forms and any documentation to the Office of the Registrar:

  • By mail: Send to 105 B.J. Albritton Drive Jacksonville, TX 75766
  • In person: Bring to the front desk of the Norman Building
  • Via email: Send to
  • Via fax: Fax to (903) 586-0743 (please call 903-586-2518 to verify the fax was received)
Find Out Who Your Advisor Is

You can see your advisor’s name on the homepage of Empower when you log in.

How to Register For Classes

For new and returning students, Fall and Spring walk-in registration beings at 8:30 AM on the stated dates and closes at approximately 4:30 PM. Placement testing also begins at 8:30 AM on the same stated dates.

For returning students, during the early registration time, you can make an appointment with your advisor either in person, via email, or phone to register for the upcoming terms as long as you have no holds on your account.

For new and transient students, you can email the Registrar’s Office at

Any courses during registration that are pending will remain pending. Students will need to contact their advisors to reprocess their registration once grades have been posted or holds lifted to obtain a seat in those pending courses.

Registration is not complete until the student has met with the Student Accounts Manager.

After the registration date(s), there will be a $25.00 late registration fee. Students will need to complete the form online or outside the Registrar’s Office, pay the fee at the Business Office, and then meet with the Registrar or Academic Dean for registration.

For placement testing and registration dates, please view the Academic Calendar here. Please contact the Admissions Office to schedule a placement test outside of designated testing days at

To register for courses on Empower, please read instructions here.

Syllabus Archive

You can find the syllabus archive here

Copyright Statement

Copyright infringement is the act of exercising, without permission or legal authority, one or more of the exclusive rights granted to the copyright owner under section 106 of the Copyright Act (Title 17 of the United States Code). These rights include the right to reproduce or distribute a copyrighted work. In the file-sharing context, downloading or uploading substantial parts of a copyrighted work without authority constitutes an infringement.

Penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties. In general, anyone found liable for civil copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or “statutory” damages affixed at not less than $750 and not more than $30,000 per work infringed. For “willful” infringement, a court may award up to $150,000 per work infringed. A court can, in its discretion, also assess costs and attorneys’ fees.For details, see Title 17, United States Code, Sections 504, 505.

Willful copyright infringement can also result in criminal penalties, including imprisonment of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000 per offense. For more information, please see the website of the U.S. Copyright Office at

Contact Us

Have more questions?